Today during advisory, Mrs. Abbot, a teacher I worked closely with last year comes rushing into my class. In her arms she has 13 black paperback books and she is beaming.
"Oh, my gosh!" She says. "Oh, my gosh. Oh my gosh! Just look - this is my student!"
She points to an essay on one of the pages.
"It is a lesson!" She exclaims, her face red with excitement.
When I realize what I am looking at I can't believe it. Our students' stories are in a published book. Can you imagine?
I freak out with her and start flipping through the pages of the book by Gretchen Bernabei. A quick scan of the table of contents shows me that 13 of my students' essays are published in this book. As examples of excellence. I see their names - Taylor, Sarah, Emily, Cynthia, Aramis....and tears well in my eyes.
Last year I had a number of students receive a 4 on their TAKS essay. That's the highest you can get. About 4% of Texas 7th graders get that. I am not certain that is right, but it's in that ball park. Maybe 6%. Anyway, there is a t well known teacher from San Antonio whose teaching strategies we use and whose workshops we adore. When we got our fantastic scores back, Pam emailed Gretchen to tell her about our scores. And then Gretchen asked us if we would get all of our students who got a 4 to sign a release saying their story could be published in her next book.
We did that.
Today, we saw that book. Hot off the presses. 13 of my students' essays are in this book called Sparklers. It is full of student essays from all over texas. At the front of the book it says, " Thank you to following school people whose cooperation has been invaluable: ...Jenny Wilde in San Angelo ISD..."
You know as a teacher I always look at all these teacher books and read these great lessons and great examples of student work and I would always wonder who those teachers were and what they did that was so great. Now someone might wonder that about me! It's just crazy!
So, tomorrow I get to deliver these books to my students from last year and hug them and tell them that I am so proud of them. And I am going to get them to sign my book. I absolutely can't wait.
This morning I sat in my car for about three minutes before I could manage the thought of going inside. I was not excited about what I was teaching. And I was tired. And I just didn't want to be there. I just know I am not being a great teacher. I am definitely not the worst. But far, far from the best. But today, when I saw those books and I read those essays, I was proud of myself. I was reminded that hard work pays off. But more than anything I was so very proud of my students. For a teacher, there is no greater day than the day your students inspire you.
Thank you sweet Heavenly Father for making my day.
4 comments:
you truly have a gift, jenny. what a sweet story. teary-eyed am i.
That is awesome!!!
Congratulations to your students and to YOU!!!
That is so cool, Jenny. I am so proud of your students--and you! But how could you not inspire them to be good writers when it is so obvious how you love it so. You--are an inspiration to your students. How exciting it must be for these students to see their work in print--to know that what they do does matter. Great work!
Wow! That is amazing! I can just imagine your beaming face as you tracked down your students. You are a wonderful teacher!
Post a Comment