Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thump.

I feel like God literally thumped me on the head today and followed it up with a "Hello, McFly!"

So, after yet another wonderful sermon by our pastor, I went to the altar with my 17 pound child who was a sleeping dead weight in my arms and began praying. The sermon was about dealing with disappointments in life - you know unfulfilled expectations. Hello. Unfulfilled expectations are like a daily, almost hourly occurrence in my world sometimes. But it did get me thinking about all my abundantly fulfilled expectations. But that's totally not what this thump on my head dealt with. So, moving on...

I am up there praying, something along the lines of, "Thank you for all our blessings,(list blessings with sincerity). I want to do what you want me to do, even if that means working...But (we always give God a but don't we? Then he kicks ours.) I feel like I can't do it all. I can't be the wife, mother, friend, teacher that I should be. I don't know how to get it all done and be every ones everything...

This is when the thump came.

Obviously this thump will seem very much like a duh to those of you who are, let's just say, a little more advanced in your spiritual endeavors than I, but nonetheless I am putting this out there.

Thump: "Please ME."

This is when, if you had been watching me, you literally would have seen me chuckle mid prayer.

Well, duh. Please Him. Please Him. And everyone else will have to get over it.

Hello, McFly!

Okay, just so you don't think I am literally the dumbest Christian in town, I have always known to please God. Duh. That's like rule one.

But, I hadn't really thought of it, are you ready to say duh again?, in this area of my life.

All together now - DUH.

I absolutely cannot be the best wife, mother, friend, teacher, cook, housekeeper, bedmaker, daughter, aunt, etc. all the time ever. BUT if I just focus on what pleases GOD, then the other stuff shouldn't matter.

Shouldn't matter is of course the operative phrase there. Very easy to type, not so easy to live. Especially for people pleaser extraordinaire over here. To say I like to please people might be the understatement of the year. I live for pleasing PEOPLE. Obviously, I may not do it all the time, but I sure do want to.

But, here's what the bruise from this spiritual thump left me to realize. If I please Him, then the rest will fall into place. FOR ME. Everyone else might think my world, my classroom, or my house is going to hell in a hand basket, but I will know that I am doing what God wants me to do. Well, some times. Because let's face it-knowing what pleases God and then doing it is not always the easiest thing in world, but you know what I mean.

God doesn't want me to spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress others.
God doesn't want me to put my job before my family.
God doesn't want me to have a sparkling pristine house, instead of enjoying what precious little time I have with my children right now. (I wish he would tell me to hire a maid...)
God doesn't want me to be a master chef for my family, or to host parties all the time, or to whatever. Those are all things I have thought I needed to do. (I didn't say I actually did them, people. Obviously not. I just have been beating myself up for not doing them.)
God does want me to have a good attitude.
God does want me to be a good teacher for my students.
God does want me to be happy in all situations.
God does want me to make church a priority.
God does want me to stop beating myself up for not doing everything.
Ad the big kahuna, God does want me to love others. But for HIM - not for ME.

Big confession there, folks.
Just in case you missed it, let's say it one more time.
God wants me to love others for HIM, not for ME. Not for my glory - His.

Yikes. I think a goose egg is forming from that thump.

Hello, McFly.
Please Me.

Seriously - sometimes you just need a good thump on the head.

6 comments:

kablot spot said...

He never stops thumping us. The really spiritual people (not me) say 'prodding'-- like a cattle prod. I would be worried if I ever got past being thumped by God. I would worry that I was no longer headed toward him.

I learned something about shepherds today. If a sheep falls over to one side, he does not have the physical tools to get back up by himself. Sheep die if no one picks them back up. Our dependence on a shepherd is not just provision/ food, protection from predators, or direction. We NEED him to lift us up. We never stop NEEDING him. All he wants from us is to trust him completely. He doesn't expect us to be anything but a sheep. He knows our needs before we do. He knows our limitations and will never expect us to stand back up on our own. He wants to do it for us. He loves touching us-- thumping us-- individually, even if we are part of the herd.

You barely know me, but I have been called to pray for you several times. I hope that little sheep thing gives you some peace...

Sarah P. Henry said...

i don't think i can follow up after shannon's wisdom, but i just wanted to say thanks for sharing this. "please Me" is something God has been showing me a lot lately as well.

just know that if you're at that altar kneeling, you're in the right place. He will meet you there, and show you that way.

marme said...

me too...

Anonymous said...

I was shared the following in the early days of my christian walk.

It does not matter who you please if you displease God and it doesn't matter who you displease if you please God.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, Thank you for the truth you shared, it is hard to remember that simple truth please ME Please Him...It's so tempting to continually please ourselves, but your pastor was right on to remind you to please ME> I daily have to be reminded of that. The maid thing, noone notices the house as much as we do. But I would suggest putting a little money in an envelope for three months then have someone come and RECALIBRATE the house during busy times, to make the rest of the times less stressful. God told me to do this and I am ... TElling my husband was another thing. Really Jenny it costs $65.00 to have our entire house cleaned WELL. I'll be praying for you to HEAR that from God... Or maybe for him to bless you with budgetary flexibility until this busy time ends.
Love your BIG not so smart all the time either sister,
mamabaca

Wendy said...

Isn't it funny how things we've always known somehow suddenly become so clear? Thanks for your blog. Very encouraging. I may have to reread it.