Sunday, July 1, 2007

My Crazy Brain

So, since, meeting with my boss, and discussing me teaching again this year I seriously have not been able to stop thinking about teaching. But here's the thing. I am not thinking about it like, "Oh, man, the bad behavior, the upset parents, the long hours..." No, I have not been able to stop thinking about lesson plans, classroom arrangements, creative writing projects, new classroom management plans. I am almost tempted to say I am excited about it.

Teaching is a slightly addicting profession because even as one school year ends and you can't imagine making it another day, there is, in the back of your mind, a little twinge of excitement about the next year when you can do it again, but better. It's odd.

Of course, I do have moments of dread when I think of certain parts of the job, but for the most part, I am just pretty excited. See, Mr. Waters told me that I will be teaching 6th grade writing. The great things about that are: 1, I will dealing with 6th graders who will be just a little bit younger. 2. I will be teaching the same subject so it won't be completely new material and 3, most important, there is NO TAKS TEST. I can teach writing without the pressure of the looming test in February. I will still, of course, have to prepare them for what will come in 7th grade, but I won't have the pressure. We can do more in depth things, and we can do projects that may take a while because we won't have the time crunch factor. It's pretty exciting.

So, here I am, unable to go to sleep at night because I am thinking about how I could try to stations in my class or how I could teach them grammar in a fun way or how we can partner with reading and social studies to try some cross curricular things. It's really quite odd. The very thing I dreaded for so long, teaching again, now feels almost like a creative project I can't wait to begin.

Now, please, let's all pray Troy gets that ASU job because otherwise I don't know what will happen. By the way, the position at ASU is offically open as of Friday afternoon. We are awaiting a call for an interview.

In the meantime, he got called for an interview in Fort Worth. We don't really want to go there now but we also don't want to burn any bridges. So, we all are going and we are going to take Mason to the Fort Worth Zoo and a Rangers game. Some friends of ours were able to get free tickets to the game on the fourth of July! We are super excited!

Now, that I am sure many of you think I am the most flaky, wishy washy person on earth I will stop rambling on about the thoughts going on in my crazy brain...

No comments: