I have this dear friend from my childhood, Jamie. She's commented on my blog a few times - Jellybean. Anyway, she just recently had a baby and due to some health complications, her going back to work is not an option right now. So this admirable friend of mine is impressing me so much with her dedication to making her budget work.
She's reading this book called Miserly Moms: being a one income family in a two income world. (or something like that) and posted this today. Check it out. It had some great pointers.
This is what our grandmothers did. This is what our mothers did.
The things aren't that crazy.
It seems kind of encouraging to me. Almost like a challenge.
I just need to redefine our needs.
I ate a lot of sandwiches growing up. I didn't have cable. We bought all our clothes at garage sales and wal mart. Our house was full of garage sale furniture and was never "perfect" (well, it was perfectly homey and wonderful for a family of 8+).
And my mom was with me every day. My dad came home every day at 5.
I had a blessed childhood because my parents was miserly.
I want to be miserly! I can hardly wait.
Jamie, thank you for all this info. I love it. And I am endlessly proud of your dedication to this endeavor of motherhood.
3 comments:
It's amazing what you can live on when you put your mind to it. I think most people would be surprised to know just how little we live on.
Of course you are listening to someone who really, really wants you to stay home next year.
That's some good stuff. I for one have never been ashamed of being frugal and saving money. I'm proud of getting good deals! And second hand stuff is no problem in our house - we thrive on it. =)
I've never gotten groceries down to only $50 a week though. Wow. Hats off to any mom who can do that!
WOW!! i am impressed!! i am glad to find that i have encouraged you! i hope that you keep striving for what you want girl.
all you have to do is set your goals and stick to them. you might even be abel to get yourself alittle bit ahead before next year.then you guys would have an emergency fund! i feel so proud of myself when i mange to save extra money on groceries or find a good deal on something we need. thanks for sharing my thoughts lady, hopefully i threw out some good pointers! keep your eyes out for recepies too. i made a killer soup the other night that was really filling and cheap to make. and it had just a little bit of meat in it!(a bonus for your budget.)
Post a Comment