Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic.

Today was historic indeed. And since Marme and Seph have already put into far more eloquent words than I ever could of the hope we have in God's power and wisdom during these uncertain times, I want to focus on what happened today.

I am not a history buff. Lover, yes. Expert, no. I do not know the intricacies of American Politics. I couldn't tell you Obama's stance on a number of issues, nor could I have told you where Bush even stood on every political issue. I do not claim to be the most knowledgeable US citizen of its history, traditions or political entanglements. But I do know something.

Despite the uncertainty, despite how we may feel about Obama, despite what we may see on our less than unbiased news channels, today America, and the idea of democracy may have been seen at its finest.

It's not that our new president is of African American descent and that 50 years ago his daughters couldn't have gone to my son's school. It's not the fact that it has taken decades to see what Martin Luther King once dreamed of come to pass. And it's not even about the one million citizens who stood together peaceful and united in the freezing cold to watch who they perceive to be an American Hero take office.

No. Its about the fact that today a major change of power took place in complete peace. Today, a west Texan Cowboy, son of a former president, a republican, handed over the keys of his home and country to an African American Democrat with ancestry rooted in another country. As Obama was sworn in, Bush sat peacefully in observance and watched as power slipped from his shoulders and settled quite heavily onto anothers. Today, our nation changed. For the better or worse, we do not know. But today, America stood at its finest, as we watched the most peaceful transfers of power take place. One man gave up willingly his power to another. Because that's what America asked for.

Now, I understand that there are a good many of us who did not choose the man we now call President. And I understand that I may be looking at the world through rose-tinted glasses in this moment as I choose only to see the good in this day, but... mustn't we? Aren't there times when we have to see with eyes of hope? Aren't there times when we must look for the light even as the clouds close in? America, and all that she stands for, may be slipping away, but today, as two men of nearly opposite thought, vision and experience peacefully traded places, America was America.

We do not know what tomorrow holds. But we know Who holds tomorrow. So today, I will simply appreciate what I witnessed today...and pray for our new president.

4 comments:

ree said...

Well said!

Sarah P. Henry said...

lovely. and true. very true and very cool.

kj said...

whoa! that is a beautiful thought...

marme said...

love it. my thoughts exactly!

I choose to see the best.

American is still the most beautiful place on earth, with all it's faults, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.