Jenny wasn't quite sure how it happened. She couldn't believe it had happened. And she knew, that it would never happen again. In the midst of 25 other friends, Jenny and Troy were alone. Somehow, a walk along the beach with friends had turned into the two of them alone as each of the other travelers peeled off from the group running and splashing in the distance ahead.
The remaining glow from the setting sun had painted the sky with a dull purplish river and the roar of the waves had become a serene whisper creating a peaceful tranquility only found on the beach as sunset meets twilight. Cool waves splashing at their bare feet, Jenny and Troy strolled slowly side by side down the beach.
Jenny, for once, was comfortable with their frequent moments of silence. She did not feel the usual panic to grope her mind for something clever or cute to say. Instead, they just walked, eyes on the ground reaching for an occasional shell that had washed ashore. They would show each other their treasures before deciding to keep them or toss them. It was a moment of perfection for Jenny. It was the first time Jenny really looked at Troy. Every other time they had been together, there was always some distraction - a game, friends, Jenny trying to perfect her flirting. Now, it was just them, alone. She glanced at him, trying to remember every detail of this moment so that she could pour it out into her diary later. His hair was blond and wavy, ever more attractive when it was wet and messy. His smile was always so casual and easy, like he should have one hand in a pocket and tux jacket thrown over his shoulder. The way he would smile at her, made her feel perfect. Not better, not different, but perfect in her own imperfections. Jenny soaked in every detail trying to remember them all, but knowing perhaps the only one that would stay forever were his eyes. His eyes were a blue like nothing Jenny had ever seen, like the blue of the ocean you can see straight to the bottom of. And when he would laugh at her, truly laugh at her because of something she said or did, they would squint up and dance. Jenny knew she could spend the rest of her life trying to make his eyes look just like that.
As Jenny looked at him, careful not to appear as though she was looking at him, he gradually slowed down, turning to face the beach. She stopped beside him and they both stood there looking out at the endless ocean while their feet became buried in the wet sand with each incoming wave. They joked casually about being buried from head to toe and how long that could take. Then they began discussing how great the trip had been.
"I can't believe we leave tomorrow." Jenny said.
"I know. What a quick four days..." Troy trailed off.
"It's been so fun and, well, I am so glad that you have just accepted that I am better at Shuffleboard than you." Jenny joked.
He smiled. "Whatever. Better at shuffleboard. Yeah."
There was a pause as Troy bent down to pick up a shell that had washed up to his feet. It was a small gray scallop. He looked at it for a second and then held out the shell in his hand for Jenny.
"Here, something to remember the trip by. You can put it with all those other things you keep saving."
"Thanks." Jenny said quietly as she took the shell from his fingertips, her hand grazing his. "I will. I have this whole collection of things...for a scrapbook maybe...and plus, I just like collecting things...."Jenny rushed on, for the first time feeling slightly nervous about things. She was trying to set her feet free when Troy interrupted her rambling.
"Um, I've really had a great time here...I mean, with you...."
Jenny looked up at him only to see him looking at the ground.
"And...well, it's just been fun, you know? Hanging out..."
He looked at her. Jenny's heart was beating. He was trying to say he liked her. Right here on this beach. When he paused, Jenny cut in. "I know! It has been fun and...I can't believe tomorrow it is over...I mean, the trip, not...well, the fun..."
"What was that! Seriously, say something to make him say more." Jenny thought to herself.
"I have had fun with you too..." She rushed.
"Say something else! Say something else!" Her mind panicked.
"and thanks for the shell."
"Thanks for the shell! Oh, please, Jenny, just stop talking." She hated herself in that moment.
Finally, Troy smiled. Jenny breathed.
"Um, I was wondering something...I mean, I don't know if...well, it's been fun and you are...well, I was wondering if maybe when we get back-"
"Hey, Jenny!" Aaron, her brother's friend, shouted running at them. He grabbed Jenny by the waist and spun her around before plopping her down a few feet from Troy. A loud group was right behind Aaron, and before she knew it, Troy was being recruited for a game of Capture the Flag and her friends were begging her to go to the pool. They looked at each other for a brief moment and then went their separate ways. But Jenny could swear she saw a look of disappointment and regret on his face as he walked away.
Jenny looked down at the shell in her hand. He liked her. He did. There was no doubt. He was about to say so but couldn't. As she was dragged to the pool with her friends, she replayed every word he said. When we get back... what did that mean? Hanging out more, would things change, a date...? She would just have to find out, but she feared that would not happen until much later. That moment on the beach was too perfect. Who knows when, if ever, they would be alone again. Stupid Aaron. Ruining everything.
When we get back...
7 comments:
oh, that was so good. it was like i was right there on the beach with you. you portrayed every detail so great. my heart was beating faster when he reached down to give you the shell.
really this is the making of a great book.
you are seriously killin me. this is the worst kind of book! one i cannot hold in my hands!
I caught myself sitting here at my desk with my chin in my hand, mouth open, eyes fixed. Drool was about to drip on the desk! Girl, you amaze me at every turn!
I caught myself thinking about when I had this hughe crush on david when i was 15 and how I should write it all down before I forget it completely.
You just inspire us all!
Aawwwwwww! I love it!!! Seriously!!!
And, thanks, for letting me have something to read on my day off!!! ;)
So exhilarating. So passionate.
More..More
You have got to publish this....this is great...can't wait for the next chapter.....
You just blow me away! I love reading this stuff! Keep it coming.
Post a Comment