I think Mason is going to make a fantastic big brother.
Yesterday, when we were putting all the baby things away, Mason said at random points these things.
"Oh! Look at these cute tiny socks!" (in a very high pitched cutesy voice.)
"And when the baby comes I can help with bath time."
"And babies have to cry when they want something because they can't talk. And that's okay."
"Oh, look at how cute and small this hat is!" Again in a very high pitched cutesy voice.)
"Yep, babies have to burp after they eat and that will be what daddy and I do with the baby."
Among, these things that he said, I have noticed some skills he has picked up recently that will definitely make my life easier.
He can open his own pop tarts.
He can pour his own drink.
He knows how to switch the laundry and loves to.
He puts away the silverware.
He can fold wash cloths.
He understands that when the baby is born he won't be able to sleep with us anymore...we'll see how that one goes. Yeah, right.
He brushes his own teeth. (Yes, toothpaste is everywhere but still)
He can clip his own fingernails.
Now, some of these things are still in need of a little work but still his desire to be independent and to be my helper is astounding. He will very likely make things much easier.
I have one, well several, but I will only divulge one concern here. He still demands that we read two books every night before bedtime. He would be traumatized if this routine was altered. Let's just hope this baby likes books from day one.
Now, having said all of this, I completely realize that I am in for it. Because Mason is able and has been able to do all of these things for a while, I have completely forgotten what it is like to have an infant. I am in for a shock. The other day, while registering for a quite fashionable diaper bag, remembered what the diaper bag meant. It's not just that you have to take it with you everywhere, its that you use everything in it - burp cloths, diapers, wipes, medicine, diaper rash ointment, and possibly bottles this time around, blankets, extra changes of clothes...
Yeah, I'm in for it. But I absolutely cannot wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment