Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I love Madison.

Mason asked me how to spell "I Love Madison" about two weeks ago. After a brief discussion on the definition of love and coming to the conclusion that he loved her like a friend, I conceded and spelled the sentence. Since that time, "Madison" has been scrawled on our sidewalk, on little itty bitty price tag stickers, on notecards, notepads, homework...just about any surface. Sometimes it's "like". Sometimes it's love. Sometimes it's just Madison.

Yesterday, when I picked him up from school, we were walking by another class when he said, "bye Madison." I said, "which girl is Madison?" He pointed and she waved. She was pretty stinkin' cute so I said, "wow. She is a cutie." Mason, without missing a beat, looked at her, nodded and said, "I told ya."

***
His favorite game to play right now is "what does d-e-l-l spell? What does o-c-t-o-b-e-r spell? what does.... spell? He just sees a word, says the letters and then asks what it spells? Now, this is great and I'm so excited that he loves learning and can identify not only every letter, but where words begin and end, but have you ever tried concentrating on even the most simple of tasks while "reading" words being spelled to you? It's exhausting.

***

He can recognize numbers now - big ones like 87 and 103. He can count to who knows what. He can sound out almost anything that is spelled like it sounds. i.e. swift. but not swat. He adores his teacher. He is just so big. His face is grown up. His little hands are big boy hands. The way he understands sarcasm and jokes. He's just so big. And I just love him so...



2 comments:

jellybean said...

this is a very cool post. he is a big boy in deed. they do grow up fast. i love the "madison" part and the spelling part. that is just way cool. kids are so eager to learn.it's sad when you see them hit a certain age when they start to think that school is dumb. i hope our kids always relish in the desire to learn.
again, a very neat post!

Ashley said...

That is so funny. I think it's a kindergarten thing. We were waiting in a LOOONG line at Walmart Pharmacy the other day and the girl was looking at every fat loss and tummy flattener bottle on that aisle and asking, "What does b-e-l-l-y b-l-o-a-t spell?" haha...I'm sure the other people in line we cracking up.