Tuesday, August 25, 2009

perhaps a bit of poetry is due...

They're sweet.
And small.
And cute.
And wanting to please.
And I've fallen madly in love with several of them already.

The first day was wonderful, but I only had my homeroom for the entire day. And, not to brag, but I have THE best homeroom ever. I tell them that constantly. I also tell them their straight line makes me want to cry I'm so proud. And I also act like the love of my life has just returned from being lost at sea when they finally make it back to my room at the end of the day. And should I hear that they were the best class another teacher had all day, erasers are passed out with "i am just so darn proud of OUR homeroom!" exclamations.

If you can't tell, what I like most about 4th graders so far is that they let you praise them and love on 'em. 7th graders let you but you have to sneak it in.

Today we switched classes five times. And I do have a few stinkers scattered about, but nothing terrible. Of course, they're all good the first few days and then true colors start splattering out. But, I think I'll be okay. And I think they kind of like me and I don't care what someone might have told you, they have to like you. Period. I don't have to be their best friend, they can't run my classroom, and they don't have to like what we do every day, but they have to like me. They have to know that I do truly care about them and their success.

Anyway, after two days, I think I will survive.

The only part of my job that's really stressing me out is I feel like I am unsure of simple things all the time - do we take up composition notebooks? Attendance written and electronically? lunch count is sent where? Do I unload tuesday folders? There's obviously no bell for class switching so I freak out if the next class is waiting on me. I just hate HATE feeling like the weak link. I don't really think I am, but I feel like it.

And then there's TAKS. 4th graders take the writing taks test. Last year they had awesome scores. I do not want to disappoint! But today, I gave the most stereotypical writing assignment - Write about what you did this summer. I know! Terrible! But I did it because a)it's safe and easy for my shy unsure babies. b) It's a great way to see what they write, how they write. And I learned a lot. Most surprised me with how great they wrote. A few downright terrified me. And the rest made me smile to think about how much they're going to learn this year...how much I hope they learn this year.

Now, as for my big ol' first grader, Mason, he's doing great. Except that this morning I took him with me. He was totally fine with walking to class by himself until it actually came time to walk to class by himself. As my fourth graders were filling my room, his eyes were filling with tears. I couldn't walk him all the way across campus to his room. It was a horrible moment of "I'm an awful mother" emotions. Until I spotted our dear sweet librarian.

A word on our librarian: Mrs. Hall might be the sweetest, kindest, smilingest, defines-librarian-to-a-tee..est, person ever. I adore her. She's funny and clever and exudes sweet without being sappy. She's been teaching/librarianing (totally a word) for 30 or so years, and she just...I just like her. I want to grow up to be her.

Back to Mason... so we saw dear Mrs. Hall and before I can even open my mouth, she smiles that warm endearing smile of her and says, "Can I walk this young man to class for you? Why, I would just love to." I almost hugged her. So I sent Mason, tears brimming in his sad little eyes, off with Mrs. Hall, and I choked back my own tears and headed to class.

Other than that one small teary moment, he's loved first grade. Thank goodness!

Now, since tomorrow is only Wednesday, there will likely be a non-poetic, possibly whiney post about how exhausted I am and how I can't believe how long it is until MAY! But today, I'll enjoy these happy feelings of 4th grade smittenness. And I hope you did too.

(does it concern you all that I teach writing and yet I make up words almost every time I write? It does me...)

4 comments:

Tammie said...

I love that you make up words! I think all writers should be creative, and what better thing to create?
Glad you are loving your classes. You are such a natural. Can't wait to hear more.
Oh, by the way, I STILL get those "I'm a horrible mother' moments.

La said...

I'm glad to hear you're loving it! Fourth grade seems like such a great age to teach and writing sounds like such a fun thing to teach. How perfect!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad classes are going well already!

kj said...

sounds like you're gonna make it! i love that you're loving it so! have fun, friend!