Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We saw another side of Grant today.

Grant's "surgery" went very well.

We went in at about 7:15, got him dressed in his little blue gown that looked so cute, and then we waited...and waited...and waited...and waited. Grant couldn't have anything to eat or drink so he was a little less than Mr. Happy, but still good. He even fell asleep in my arms for 45 minutes or so. Finally, about 9:30ish, they explained the procedure, the anesthesia, and, that when he woke up, he would be really angry. In the words of the nurse, he would be similar to the Tazmanian Devil. Then they carried my little baby away. I handled that surprisingly well. Knowing the surgery took about 6 minutes eased the pain (but did give me a moment to pause on the exact amount his doctor would be making per minute...).

Before we knew it, he was safely passed out in our arms again. And he looked so peaceful and dreamy.

Then he started to wake up.

Turns out Tazmanian Devil is an appropriate term. Arms flailing, legs flopping, red-faced screams. Oh, he was MAD! Nothing helped - pappys, daddy's arms, momma's pacing, nothing. Just screaming. But it wasn't scary or anything. I could tell he was just confused and upset by what had happened to him. He wasn't hurting or anything.

After 15 minutes or so we were told we could leave.
He cried leaving.
in the car.
at home.
being rocked.
nothing helped.
Until I convinced him to drink a bottle of warm milk.
In mere minutes, Grant returned and the Tazmanian Devil faded.
Thank Goodness!

The rest of the day has been uneventful. Lots of dirty diapers, not a fan of the three times a day drops, and kind of cranky, but pretty good overall. Now, if I can just figure out how on earth I'm going to keep water out of his ears for the next 6-9 months...

5 comments:

Wendy said...

So glad to hear it went well. I sure hate it when I can't calm my babies down. That must have been rough.

jellybean said...

bless his heart. poor guy. i'm glad the warm milk helped. he probably needed something in his tummy by then.
i'm glad it's over. and it went good.
and yes, dr's make a killing! at EVERYTHING! sometimes i wonder if we should all just be dr's.
i too hate it when they just can't seem to be calmed. it's so hard -on the parents and the kiddo.
hope the rest of the well goes well and he stays healthy!

Amber Lichtenstein said...

They have "Ouchless" gauze pads that have a little thing of adhesive on the sides that you could put over his ears when youre bathing him. they stick but barely and dont hurt at all when you take them off. They have a thin plastic lining that might help keep the water out. just a thought

Amber Lichtenstein said...

But then again i doubt grant will let them stay in place

Tammie said...

You survived it. I'm so glad you all have that behind you.
I had a thought that may help you feel a little less stressed about the medical bills. This is something I learned at work. Medical bills DO NOT go on your credit rating. Plus, it is very hard for them to take legal action. NOW, I am not saying don't pay your bills. What I am saying is to pay them as you can. If you are paying even a little each month, they will be happy and your credit will not be touched.
A bit of advice from my own surgery - bills come in at different times. so be prepared. Just when you think you have seen the last one, here comes another one.
Love ya tons!