That was what mason asked me tonight while choking back tears.
"Why, Baby?" I asked, pushing aside the initial annoyance of him getting out of bed yet again.
"Because I just really like my pillow and I can't find it."
He has this nasty, i mean, nasty, pillowcase-less pillow that is holey and ratty and just terrible. It's not even a real pillow - it's an airplane pillow we stole like three years ago. But he loves the thing. We couldn't find it before bedtime, but I just brushed it off and gave him a replacement. That's when the tear-filled conversation took place. He has since found his precious pillow and will be asleep soon...i hope.
Those moments are good to have. The moments that remind me he's not quite grown up, that he's not completely a big boy yet. There are far too many big boy moments these days...
He lost his first tooth. I picked him up from school and it was wiggling. By bedtime, it was out. The tooth fairy, who made a very last minute pick-up/delivery, brought him 75 cents so he could get an icecream at school.
He can add. I'm not talking 2+2. No. He can add like 14 + 7 in his head. No fingers. No manipulatives. He just counts to the biggest number, then starts whispering as he adds to it. He rarely miscalculates. He can even add 2 digit numbers like 14+19. In his head. It is truly baffling.
He can write sentences like, "dad wuz gowe on a fil chrip." Which translates to "Dad was going on a field trip."
He has the negative side of big boy moments too - a little attitude. Picking on his brother. Not obeying.
But then, he loses his pillow and suddenly he's that little 18 month old in his crib crying for "po!"
Where, where, does the time go...
1 comment:
I remember a time, not too long ago, when I first met little Mason. He was struggling with potty training... and Mommy had him at school, in her room with no potty in sight. 'member? love those occasional reminders of our babies still needing us, huh?
Post a Comment