Friday, November 18, 2011

a weekend of instagrams

 Last weekend I went home. Home. Just the sound of that word calms my soul. It was such a wonderful weekend. Relaxing, easy, fun, simple. I have a rather serious addiction to Instagram and thought I'd share the weekend through the camera on my iPhone.




The drive from San Angelo to Marble Falls goes from flat cottonfields and farmland to rolling hills and sparkling lakes. Every time I make this drive I fall a little bit more in love with Texas.

Love the leg sticking out over the edge of his carseat.
We were greeted with hugs and smiles and mom's blue ribbon winning white bread.
Mom also made her cornbread the next night. It was the side for Nona's Sausage soup. My cornbread never tastes as good as mom's. I use the exact same recipe! What's that about?

Playing Chinese Checkers is a must when I go home. Mason's getting really good, but as you can tell from their forlorn expressions, even teaming up against me is futile. I am undefeated.
Mason made an origami Yoda. He's reading a new book about an Origami Yoda.
Amber brought these little pieces of heaven over. Sweet Potatote cupcakes with browned marshmallow frosting. Um, I ate like, nine of them.
Lucy. She poses well.
On Sunday, we went on an "abenture" as Grant called it. We drove to this very dried up portion of the Colorado River. There was a beautiful hill overlooking the river/creek bed that was shaded by towering pecan trees. We walked down to the water and collected rocks, waded in the water, and soaked in the perfect fall day. It was so completely...peaceful there. I know it was just a day splashing in a creekbed, but it was perfect. I am so thankful for that day. It was...everything I've been needing these last few months.
We stopped at Inman's BBQ on our way out of town so we would have a picnic lunch. I cannot adequately express my love for this place.







There's just something about little boys with their jeans rolled up.



We rock collected. I have such a strange fascination with rocks.

Skippin' rocks.

When Grant saw the river bed, he said, "Look mom! It's a desert!" Texas sure needs some rain...
And then eventually...we had to leave. And while they're all smiles here, Grant said it best when, as we were driving down the last corner of Mom and Don's little neighborhood, he says, "I neber like leaving." 


 I love going home. More than I could ever ever express....

2 comments:

kj said...

Sounds more than perfect. I'm glad you got to go and find some much needed rest.

ree said...

Um...I don't even know your family, but I want to tag along for just the food alone! Holy cow!!! ;)