The roller coaster has morphed into what one might consider a very even keeled but speeding train ride.
I'm not plummeting. I'm not on some high peak. But I'm zipping along with a few bumps now and again.
Is it time for me to let go of the roller coaster metaphor?
Last week, after three weeks of five 50 minute switches a day, we 4th grade teachers decided it just wasn't working for our poor little 4th graders. It was too much switching and not enough class time.
After trying again and again and again to rewrite a schedule that put five teachers into 4 core subjects teaching only three switches a day (which by the way is impossible), we split 4th grade into two "teams" essentially.
The cool thing? I teach writing AND social studies now. I've ALWAYS wanted to teach social studies! I get to talk about Indians!
And I lost two groups of kids which is sad because there were some super sweet kiddos in those classes, but my class load was almost cut in half.
AND I have 90 minutes with each group of kids. Not 50. Which is amazing!
I feel like I can breathe. And my classroom isn't just a revolving door.
I'm a little worried though because tomorrow is Wednesday. I always cry on Wednesday. I don't really know why, but I do.
I'll keep you posted!
And one more random thing - today I saw a student I taught when I was student teacher. I taught her first grade. She's in 6th grade now.
I. am. old.
No comments:
Post a Comment