*** Quick edit by the author! When I posted this, I had NO idea it would get as many page views as it has from so many different places. I was just a little frustrated on a Friday afternoon and decided to write. Please know that I have absolutely nothing against homeschoolers! I was actually home schooled until my sophomore year of high school and loved it. I credit my homeschool years for making me the person I am today. Many of my dearest friends homeschool their children and I love them for it. The article that "broke the camel's back" just happened to be written by a homeschooler whose opinion on homework and teachers bothered me. Just as my words here do not represent every teacher in the world, I know those author's words did not represent all homeschoolers. Whether you're a home schooling mom or a public school teacher, we're all in this fight together. Okay, proceed. :) ***We need your help.
Who's we?
Me. Mrs. Smith. Mr. Jones. Miss Kirkland. Teachers around the state.
Stop bashing us.
Stop bashing public schools.
Stop bashing principals.
Stop bashing.
Today, I came home from school.
I'm exhausted when I come home from school. Did you know that?
Oh, I don't mean exhausted in the sense that I'm physically tired. No, in fact, most days I come home, lace up my running shoes and hit the road to pound out the exhaustion I feel from my job.
I'm the kind of exhausted that makes you lash out irrationally at your own kids.
I'm a mom, too. Did you know that?
By the time 4:30 arrives,(That's the real time I leave my classroom, by the way, for those of you who like to be jealous of our "short days"), and I put on the Mom Hat, I snap. It's like the last shred of sanity onto which I was clinging suddenly pops and a fury of unjustified wrath spews onto my two poor kids. Don't they know i just need one.dang.second of silence?! Why are they talking again?! Can't they make a snack themselves?!
No. The exhaustion I'm referring to is mental and emotional. Because since 7:40 this morning, I've dealt with 20 different personality types all shoved into one overcrowded classroom. Three different groups in a row. And my task is to teach them all how to write in this absolutely ridiculous language we call English.
But I'm off on a bunny trail. Another effect of the exhaustion. Inability to focus.
Back to today.
I get home and while scrolling through my Facebook feed, I see it. The "This is why I homeschool" link. I should have ignored it. I should have kept going. I shouldn't have read it. But I couldn't help myself.
It was basically an article that slammed teachers for assigning homework of all things. I won't go into all the details of this particular article because really the jerk person who wrote this article was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.
Stop blaming teachers. Stop. it.
Stop beating us down. Please. I beg of you. I can't tell you how much we need your support.
We're dying out here. We're beaten, bruised, and exhausted. I don't care what you think of public schools, I don't care how much you hate standardized testing, and I don't care how great a homeschool parent you are. None of those things makes it okay to knock us, the teachers. We are doing the very best we can.
I mean, I think I am. I think I am doing the very best I can. That's the problem with teaching. I always wonder. It's not like I have a quota to meet or a deadline I'm dealing with or a client I'm trying to win.
My measurement of success is the 20 faces that stare back at me class period after class period. How could I ever know if I'm doing this job right? Maybe in 20 years I'll see one of them and maybe they'll say, "Hey, thanks for making me care about my education, Mrs. Wilde." But today? Today, I am truly trying to do the very best I can, but is it ever going to be enough?
They're all different. Did you know that?
Each one of my students is so different. I'm not talking about their looks or their personalities. I'm talking about them. Their mind. Their very being. They don't even realize how different they are yet. You know, because they're 10 and being different isn't exactly the "it" thing. But I see it.
"Joe" is smart. Funny. And I love how his hair is messy every single day. He works really hard for me in class. Oh, he does his typical boy things, but he's a good kid. He can't spell to save his life though. I've tried everything I can think of. But his brain isn't wired to spell. It just isn't. Part of me doesn't mind, because, let's face it, in this digital driven world, I'm willing to bet spell check will catch 95% of his mistakes for him. But what if it doesn't? What if if this one weakness keeps him from the success he should have? What on Earth can I do to help him spell?
"Will" is a genius, man. I'm talking crazy smart. He can build things out of nothing. I love to talk with him. His brain fascinates me. I feel this pressure to make him work harder because I see such a bright future in front of him. I'm scared of making him complacent. How can I make him use his genius instead of allowing it to be his crutch?
"Hannah" is a mess. That girl just wants to play. And I know, I know. She's 10. But the thing is, she wants to be a veterinarian really badly. Girls who spend more time playing in school than learning don't make it to vet school. How can I make her see that her dreams are worth working hard for? And that boys do like smart girls? I know it's not my job to teach her something like that, but I see her possible futures and it worries me. What if I can be the person to teach her something like that?
"Robert" makes my heart smile. God, I love that kid. I'd take a classroom full of boys like him. And I'll be danged if I ever see his mind in an oilfield or on a construction site. I'm not knocking those professions one bit. There's a lot of people in the oilfield making way more money than I am, and I very much appreciate the experts who pave the roads I drove on, but it's not for Robert. This boy is meant for greatness. He is meant to do something. I don't know what, but I see it in him. He doesn't though. How can I make him realize how amazing he is?
Oh, I could go on and on. And I won't be all rosy and fake. Some of my students drive me crazy. Oh, yes, they do. But I love them anyway. And I do truly love this profession I've chosen. I love my students. I love to see them beam with pride when I share their writing as an example for the class. I choose to do this year after year.
Here's my point. At the end of my day, I'm exhausted. I already feel like a failure because tactic #295 for teaching the intricate details of how to do something as complex simple as writing an expository composition with organized supporting details failed. I'm stressed about the compositions that need grading, the ESL training I still have to do, the benchmarks looming ahead, and the special ed paperwork sitting on my desk.
I'm exhausted.
And to come home at the end of the day and see yet another slam against the profession I love so dearly…It truly makes me cry. I'm not kidding. It makes my heart hurt. Imagine an artist who spends his life creating a piece of art, and an outsider whose opinion this artist did not seek out, somehow feels he has the right to not only comment on the artist's work, but belittle and demean it.
We need your help, people. I don't care about your opinion on public schools. I'm not a public school. I'm a real person who chose this job. I and all my fellow teachers need help and support and encouragement.
Because here's the really scary thing. The thing that should haunt you, keep you awake at night, make you worry about the future.
Teachers, the good ones, the ones who care? We're going extinct. We're leaving the classrooms in droves. And that should terrify the hell out of you. Because if you think our country has issues now, take us out of the equation. Oh, they'll always find teachers to fill the spots we leave open. But this is a calling. If you're not called to do this, you will not be effective. If a teacher isn't effective, kids don't learn. Or worse. Kids don't care about learning. And if kids don't care about learning? I think that speaks for itself.
If you're thinking, "we'll just find better schools," you're right. YOU will. The people reading this. If you had to, you'd find a way to get your kids a better education. You'd homeschool or go private or something. But I've never been worried about your kids. It's the other kids. The ones with empty bellies and dirty clothes and a sadness in their eyes that will break your heart. Without me and teachers like me, their numbers will only grow. Without a cheerleader in their lives, someone to make them believe that they can and, by God, they will do better, they won't.
Take us out of the equation. Take public school teachers out of the equation, I dare ya. Just see where America lands.
We're exhausted, people. Give us a break. A smile. A pat on the back. We're being asked to do more than ever before with less than we've ever had.
Stop bashing.
Or at the very least, follow a guideline I try very hard to instill in my 4th graders: If you can't say something nice, just please, don't say anything at all.
42 comments:
A teacher friend of mine shared this on facebook, and then I shared it too. The teachers in my district are striking right now and the teacher bashing is breaking my heart. This is the heart cry of every good teacher. The treatment and general public opinion of teachers and the profession is what is wrong with our country and it is not something that can be easily fixed. Create all the standards, tests and policies you want, but until America truly respects, supports and encourages teachers, our education system will not -- ever -- improve. And it is a tragedy.
I enjoyed the post and I appreciate all that you do, but then again I get it. I was a teacher for 7 years (5 of them in the public schools). Now, I stay home, but someday I will probably return - although I am almost afraid too. Everything you say is true. Teaching is hard and then to have people belittle the profession just weighs on you. It is so frustrating that you give all that you can of yourself, wonder if it is good enough, and then be berated for your efforts. You do not stand alone. I hear you, as countless others do, and lend you my support. Follow your heart, love your calling and those kids, and do the best to shut out the noise. Do the best that you can do and no can or should ask you do any more. Finally, thanks for what you do for our kids and our country. You are a real hero.
Great post! Sad. Someone has to be willing to go into the trenches and fight for those nobody cares if they eat much less get an education. Somebody must be willing to go in and love on the unloved. Somebody MUST sacrifice and do the best they can, and when they do, a life will be forever changed. God promises us a harvest for what we plant and that He will give us the places we step obediently into. We have to decide for ourselves just how big our territory will be. You decided. You and many others I know are making a difference. Those that do and those that have made a difference throughout the ages have always been ridiculed and rarely been praised until way after they're gone, if ever. But the deed did change history. One step, one generation at a time. I want to praise your sacrifice now and thank you and all those that are called. Now. You may not know your impact till heaven, but you will know then. I am proud, so proud. Thank you and keep believing you are making a difference and turn your ear away from those that discourage. It is not the voice you listen to, you listen to the one deep in your soul. That's the voice you trust. Great job Jenny. Great job! Thanks too for being a voice for so many discouraged in this call. You just helped them in their battle to gain ground and keep going. They are not alone.
I home schooled my kids (until high school) and I'm a teacher at a private school AND I agree with you. Totally. I don't blame the teachers and for those that do, I'm so saddened. I blame the school system. There is so much pressure put on teachers and NOT enough pay for sure. It is a calling and I apologize for any home school parent that bashed a teacher. I honestly believe that most are against the school system, not the teachers. How can we blame the teachers when they get their edicts from elsewhere? I already see where many teachers should leave this profession because I don't believe they are called to it. They don't care about the kids and the things my children share with me about what goes on in class shocks the heck out of me. I get tempted to call the district but am at a loss as to how I keep my child protected from the back lash. Thank you for being a teacher that cares for her kids. Thank you for the time you spend and the energy and brain cells you expend working so hard <3 You are loved and appreciated. I pray that you are able to see that even though the enemy would love for you to feel differently. <3
Right on! I have been in the classroom for 18 years, and the teacher bashing is out of control. There is much wrong with public education - my child will not attend public schools. However, most teachers are putting their heart, soul, talent, time, and treasure into their students. We are, for the most part, not the problem with public education. Federal and state involvement, dysfunctional school boards, out-of-touch administrators, and apathetic parents are. We want your kids to find their gifts and develop them so that they can enjoy life and make a positive contribution to their community. But we can't do it alone.
This is awesome. I can't relate because I'm not a teacher and as you have seen in the nursery at church I'm young and have one sweet little 7 month old boy but I can better understand how teachers must feel because of this post. How stretched you are and how you are laid out thin. I am truly sorry for that post and all of it's bashing. I hope whoever wrote it can find peace and clarity within their heart towards teachers and the teaching field in general. Even if in 20 years you don't see any of them, you'll have still made a difference. An impact of great proportions! I love that you love your calling and embrace it the way you do by standing up for it through this post. Good job! AWESOME job!
I can't tell you how much we agree with your comments. Stacie shared on FB and as I was reading it to David this morning, our 9 year old 4th grader interrupted us no less than 5 times to show us his model magic clay sculptures. I literally said, "how could a person handle 20 kids interrupting at a time?" We kept Reger at Crockett BECAUSE OF THE TEACHERS, counselors and principal. We bought a house in Santa Rita and we put in for a transfer and begged to stay. Who did we beg? Coach Eddie Heath, MY FORMER TEACHER and coach from Crockett, in the 70s. I can tell you every single Crockett teacher that made a difference in my life and I'm 43. Crockett library and circle drive are named after someone I'm still in contact with ...my 1st grade teacher, Marjorie Howell. She was, like you, DRIVEN and CALLED. She read to Reger in kindergarten and first grade. The other day, as I picked up my child from the circle, I looked over to see he had a substitute. I said, " that looks like Mrs. Russell, my old Crockett teacher from the 70s" and he was shocked. He said, "IT IS .." I told him to get out, run over and tell her who his mom was. She was so excited and knew exactly who I was. Dedication!! I could go on and on. I am so very grateful for all you do!! 40 years down the road, I can promise you that this will happen to you. KIDS WILL REMEMBER MRS. JENNY WILDE because she was dedicated, cared about my childs successes and she was called. Thank you for all you do!!
30 kids, people. Thirty students in my Kindergarten classroom & more in some schools. I assure you these kids are not getting what they need.
And, please quit talking about paying teachers more. It's not the money -- it's the complete lack of value & respect.
Yes, 30 students and a principal who says, "Teach them to read so they are ready for The Test."
Frustration, exhaustion & poor morale.
I want you to know as a homeschooling mom, the teachers are NOT the reason that I have chosen to homeschool. I deal with 4. Only 4. And there are so many days that I feel I have so many balls I'm juggling when we are schooling that it's just a crazy mess. I can't imagine having a classroom of 20. I don't know how you do it!! YOU are definitely NOT the problem with our school system. I have a feeling that article you read only represents a SMALL minority of homeschooler that feel that way. I think the rest of us look at our little bitty classrooms and then give a grand applause to those in trenches. So just ignore those ignorant articles. You don't have time for that!!
... and you haven't even touched on the data collection and management for each student, response to intervention, writing goals, duties and meetings, pacing guides, assessments ongoing, professional development on our own time, malfunctioning equipment, lack of tools like iPa*s. I think what I miss the most is finding time in the curriculum for talking with students, making a more personal connection, and seeing how they learn best and I wish I could teach what students want to learn more about themselves.
I am grateful every single day for the teachers who cultivated my love of learning and for the teachers who are helping my daughter learn to read, write, and be a special human being. Your work is ESSENTIAL and many people do really appreciate what you do every single day.
As one who homeschooled his daughters until they went into 7th & 8th grades and retired from the public school system, I do understand and agree. It saddens me to think there is so much bashing of teachers and schools these days. Somehow things have gone seriously awry. I believe there is so much negative thinking in our country teachers end up being an easy target for those who want to blame anything and anyone for their own failures as well as the failures of our society. They don't seem to consider the social changes that have occurred in the last 40+ years and what that means in the classroom.
Keep on doing what you do as long as it's your love. Your students will benefit immensely from your experience and your passion.
Great post! I would not be one that could homeschool my child. I have great admiration for teachers and all their saintly patience. Thank you for what you do. BTW, I am not a fan of all the homework, but I think it is good for my child. That part I don't mind. I don't like the fact that things have changed so much and I cannot answer my child's questions when she asks for my help when she is stuck on a problem. Science fair and art projects...I am all about that! LOL
God bless you...bless you. I sit here, on a snow day without much snow, working. I'm grading papers and thinking about what I say to my 5th graders that matters. What really matters? What should I do more of, less of, better, or not at all? Always thinking about them, even on the days I'm not with them. Your words are filled with truth and passion. Thank you, from one teacher to another. Thank you.
Very well said! I think all of us just want to be respected for the work we do! WE DO LOVE KIDS and CARE about their futures! That is truly the only motivation to keep doing what we do day after day!
God bless you and hang in there. I am a home school mom, but I am fighting the good fight against Common Core for you too. We need great teachers like you to help impart to the next generation of leaders. We need teachers like you for the masses that choose public education and for the ones who don't have a choice. From you beginning you have never been my enemy and I feel for you. People like you are the ones who should have the freedom to do what your heart has called you to and that is...teach! All the standardization and testing is clipping your wings! God bless you and all the teachers like you!
Amen!
I am a mom that has kids in both public and home school. Sending you a great big DITTO to the other things shared! Let's stop mom-shaming and teacher-shaming and peer-shaming in our world. Most of us are just doing the best we can, and what we are doing is awesome, even though we aren't perfect!
I agree wholeheartedly!
GO TEACHERS!
Hey Jenny, we homeschool and have never believed the teachers are the problem at all. It is a tough job to act as some of these children's only support system. I was a child who got most of my meals at public school. Though I think we should have school choice and change the system, in the mean time someone does have to stand in the gap for those who have no one. The problem is the system, the break down of the family, the lack of ability to have God as the center. Not the teachers. The sad part is that in many ways the teachers hands are tied. The way to really help these kids is through the gospel, and certainly that is not allowed in public school.
This is brilliantly and beautifully written! I'll share, FB and Tweet. When you are down, as I remember getting both as a teacher and a elementary school teacher, remember that you are among the blessed in this world. Making differences you may never see, but oh, you are making them. I wish I could wave a magic wand to make people understand just a bit of how important what goes on in a classroom is and how vitally important teachers are. I can't do that. You are so right about our country and it's lack of support for public schools. IMHO, this should start with Parents as Teachers for all parent and full day pre-K with assistants in pre_K and kinder classroom. Expensive? Absolutely. But such a better use of our money than remedial work later, efforts to keep kids in school, and to build prisons for those we, as a country, have failed. Thank you, thank you for your work. We can pray the world will wake up, and in the meantime that God will give you and others to strength to carry on. For the sake of our kids and our country and world.
People aren't bashing teachers necessarily, certainly not the good ones. We're criticizing a broken system that is literally Soviet-modeled, that spends dramatically more and more money most of which goes to ever more non-teaching administrators. We feel trapped in a system that does not serve ordinary Americans, and that economically and politically elite Americans side step. Is a system that distorts how & where we buy our homes. It is a system that was literally designed in 19th century Germany to train an agricultural people how to perform in a newly industrializing society. It effectively trained farmers' children how to show up to a factory job. Rather than seeing our school system embrace a new approach for a new digital global no factory economy with individualized personally paced educational alternatives like Khan Academy, I have yet to meet a teacher in Clarke County who's even heard of Khan Academy.
Rather than innovate new techniques, reward the most productive teachers, encourage a diversity of teaching and learning styles, teachers and their sclerotic unions (which by the way are among the very largest contributors to leftist political candidates in the entire country) teachers and their highlypolitical unions aggressively fight school choice, studiously ignore online innovation like Khan Academy, aggressively attack and defeat any efforts to reward excellence among their peers, cling to a Soviet-style zip-code-based anti-market anti-choice distribution method that ALL Americans would reject were it proposed for how we buy groceries or automobiles or clothing or ANY other product or service, and most gallingly teachers unions aggressively fight to protect the very worst among their ranks, going so far in NYC as to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year to quarantine legions of incompetent, perverted, lazy bottom of the barrel misfits in something called "the rubber room".
If teachers want to stop feeling criticized then they need to support innovation, accountability, flexibility, choice, they need to STOP giving huge sums of tax dollars to leftist politicians, and they need to start firing their dead wood, AS EVERY OTHER INDUSTRY does.
People aren't bashing teachers necessarily, certainly not the good ones. We're criticizing a broken system that is literally Soviet-modeled, that spends dramatically more and more money most of which goes to ever more non-teaching administrators. We feel trapped in a system that does not serve ordinary Americans, and that economically and politically elite Americans side step. Is a system that distorts how & where we buy our homes. It is a system that was literally designed in 19th century Germany to train an agricultural people how to perform in a newly industrializing society. It effectively trained farmers' children how to show up to a factory job. Rather than seeing our school system embrace a new approach for a new digital global no factory economy with individualized personally paced educational alternatives like Khan Academy, I have yet to meet a teacher in Clarke County who's even heard of Khan Academy.
Rather than innovate new techniques, reward the most productive teachers, encourage a diversity of teaching and learning styles, teachers and their sclerotic unions (which by the way are among the very largest contributors to leftist political candidates in the entire country) teachers and their highlypolitical unions aggressively fight school choice, studiously ignore online innovation like Khan Academy, aggressively attack and defeat any efforts to reward excellence among their peers, cling to a Soviet-style zip-code-based anti-market anti-choice distribution method that ALL Americans would reject were it proposed for how we buy groceries or automobiles or clothing or ANY other product or service, and most gallingly teachers unions aggressively fight to protect the very worst among their ranks, going so far in NYC as to spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year to quarantine legions of incompetent, perverted, lazy bottom of the barrel misfits in something called "the rubber room".
If teachers want to stop feeling criticized then they need to support innovation, accountability, flexibility, choice, they need to STOP giving huge sums of tax dollars to leftist politicians, and they need to start firing their dead wood, AS EVERY OTHER INDUSTRY does.
Teaching is a service. The customers of that service should be free to choose the school/teacher of their choice. This is not "bashing." But equally so, a teacher should be free to not teach students and/or parents who are irrational.
For all but the very rich, home school is the only alternative. If we had school choice, then this teacher could have 20 kids/parents who chose to be in her class. Much of the bashing would stop because dissatisfied customers would simply leave.
Thank you! Could have been the words out of my own heart. To the young man who stated "People aren't bashing teachers necessarily, certainly not the good ones". You must have missed it because it is out there with all of its ugliness. I am finally trying to turn my brain off now so I can go to sleep after 3.5 hours of grading papers. I left school at 3:45 for the first time in weeks - only because I finally made a doctors appt. that should have been made 3 weeks ago but I haven't had time. People do bash teachers - I was once told I "should get a real job"! I LOVE teaching - I wouldn't want to do anything else but I am tired and I only started 10 years ago. I have seven children (all adults now) and I was a stay at home mom for many years supporting in the classroom as a room mom and PTA member. We can't help feel attacked when all we hear is the negative. We have people were I live taking their children to other districts because they don't think our test scores are high enough - well when you drag the high achievers to other cities what do you think is going to happen to the test scores? We have students here going to very prestigious colleges but all people listen to is the gossip and rumors. If you don't like what is going on in the schools in your city/town - GET INVOLVED! You don't have to be a parent. GET EDUCATED! The biggest problem I have in my classroom is the lack of follow up at home. When I sit in a meeting for over an hour with all the teachers, counselors, and support staff for a student who sits playing on their cell phone without the parents saying a word we have already lost the battle. The parents called the meeting but the assistant principal finally told the student to put the phone away. I wish people would come and do my job for a week - lesson plan and test at the end of the week - then let's talk! Thank you for writing this - I will be passing it on!!
Sorry to tell you that there will always be an opposition. It is part of doing your job to have reviews from parents. Everyone is never going to be happy. Get over it. There are a lot of people who say positive things about teachers. Focus on that. Teachers aren't the only ones with hard jobs. Just do your job and look for ways to improve. This was a very whiney post.
I agree with Kenzie Munson. Stop whining my goodness. As teachers you have lots of vacay and holidays ok many of us don't! We work a year constantly. Take the 99% of praise people give you all and stop complaining. This is what gives y'all a bad name. Many parents will not say it to y'all but believe you and me behind your back they are. As they are giving your presents ( for better grades of course) they want you to stop with the whining CHEER UP LIFES NOT ALL ABOHT YOU.
As a teacher for 14 years, I totally agree with everything you said!!! For those who say "quit whining", teach for just one week and see that it is possibly one of the most mentally exhausting careers on earth! The demands of a teacher are unlike those of other jobs (believe me, I have worked MANY other jobs). People don't have a clue and won't until they try teaching. I took the year off to stay home with my baby (#5). I'm not sure when I will return! I loved teaching and I love children. The stress is just ridiculous.
I love public school. I love teachers. (I hate standardized testing, but so do you.) Thank you for molding my children. You didn't teach them, but lots of somebodies just like you did. Thanks for going back today and tomorrow and the day after that. (Your wallpaper on your blog is really cute, by the way.)
10 years in this profession and I have only seen the bashing get progressively worse in this decade. I have good friends, who know my passion and the energy I put into teaching, who still refuse to put their kids in the "horrible" public schools. It is enough to make me end friendships.
I teach at the high school level. I deal with hormones, depression, stress over extracurricular activities, and have 130 students each day. I sponsor a club, chaperone dances, sit on multiple curriculum committees, attend my students' plays, concerts, games, and community service projects. I sit awake at night worrying about them, and spend hours of my "family time" grading their papers with care and commentary.
So sure, I suck and am horrible and not worthy of teaching "your" kids.
Or, I am the only one fighting for "your" kids besides maybe you.
And, the saddest thing, I am SO close to calling it quits, but the teacher down the hall that only shows movies and gives worksheets will stay, because he is comfortable and knows, deep down, that he is getting paid for the amount of work he puts in. I, on the other hand, am not. And I get no thanks. And I still love teaching. Please don't make that change for me!
itsmehoney said...
"I agree with Kenzie Munson. Stop whining my goodness. As teachers you have lots of vacay and holidays ok many of us don't! We work a year constantly."
As a teacher of more than 20 years, I can tell you that neither I nor most of my teacher friends doesn't work year-round or, at least, during the summer. I, personally, have a second job that I work throughout the year. During the summer, I work that job as well as another job so that I can pay my bills. And, yes, I am married, and he works two jobs, also, and we are a middle-class family with nothing exorbitant that we have ever purchased.
It is not whining to simply ask people to stop bashing a career that they not only know nothing about but that most of them could not do because of the incredible demands. Yes, I know this, because I can't tell you how many "career-switchers" I have seen come and go through my years as a teacher. People get tired of what they're doing or want to retire, so they figure, "I am an engineer, I know all about math.. I'll just teach it!" For a select few, this works out well. For many more, though, they wash out in the first year or two because they have no concept of what ELSE teaching entails besides just teaching the subject.
She is not asking for your approval. She is not asking for more money although, she would be well within her rights to do so. She is not asking for anyone to pity her because her job is crucial yet under-appreciated. All she is asking is that if you cannot say something nice about teachers in general, just keep quiet.
Wow!! Thank you for writing this!! My sister in law who is a teacher shared it on her face book page and I am sharing it on mine. MY daughter is a high school English teacher, I was an assistant and most of my friends are in public education.
I am a 4th grade teacher as well and I 100% agree and understand. I love my job but it is the most demanding and exhausting career. I did choose this career but it wasn't until I entered the classroom as a teacher that I was hit with the bashing. It used to be parents joined with teachers to push their child and now, some parents join with the student and are against the teacher. For one, I am not a miracle worker. I have 20 different students as well, 4 that are considered e.c. and 7 ESL students. I teach to so many different learning styles and ability levels. I love my students and honestly their the main reason I do my job.
To the person who said we have all these vacation days. In our state, you do not get paid for the summer months. So it's not a "vacation." I have to save money each month for those two months I am off work. So I make in 10 months my salary and the other 2 are up to me. I never leave work at work and I always leave late each day. Each year we have more and more demands while not receiving more support.
Please, be my guest and try to teach for a week and take on all the responsibilities we have. You would think parents would want to support those educating and shaping their children but sometimes it's the exact opposite! I do love what I do, but I wish the bashing would stop as well.
A nursing degree is a 4 year degree and they make about double what we do. My husband is a nurse and he works 3, 12 hour shifts and leaves work at work. Even individuals without a degree make more. I'm not necessarily complaining about the pay because I chose this caeer but with the pay, if we do not get raises and incentives to stay I am afraid I will have to find something else to keep up with the cost of living increase.
Thank you for this article.
They're not their the main reason*
I am enjoying this thread, and all your viewpoints, a lot.
I want to post a link to an article I found interesting & pertinent to the conversation about badmouthing public schools & teachers, this quote in particular:
Turning public education into an investment opportunity has been a long, arduous process. Discrediting public schools, buying up enough political clout to dismantle the public system, aggressive marketing to steal public ed "customers"-- it has taken a lot of time to breakdown a cherished American institution in order to create investment opportunities.
http://linkis.com/blogspot.com/ONzMq
@kathgrate
Thank you for posting what I feel every day in my classroom. I too am exhausted and unappreciated. I ask my students to work hard and even they, for the most, part do not appreciate what I do, until they go away to college and send me emails and texts. What do they say, often it is a thank you for what you taught me. Because of you my chemistry class is easy. Thank you for believing in me when no one else did, said a newly minted pharmacist. I make class interesting, yet challenging and I work countless hours at home and throughout the summer. I salute all the teachers who tirelessly prepare for the next day, I am with you!
Info on me: I've gone to public and private schools. I've taught public, private, and home schooled my kids through a few years...
That said, currently, I teach at a private school. A couple of my students were "bashing" other types of schools and I got right on to this soap box and told them to stop. I told them that you can succeed at any type of school and to stop assuming that all were the same as their experience. They were blaming teachers, curriculum and more...all of which are not to blame. I see so much of it is a student's choice. I love teaching and don't see much difference in both types of schools I've taught in. HS is just totally different in so many aspects, not right or wrong, just totally different. Ok, there's my 2cents. I concur with your Stop Bashing!
My mom is a head start teacher she been doing it for 20 years and still this day she has older grown up with kids their selves and still remember my mom teaching them because she made a difference in them, I know that her kids are 3 and 4 years old but it has to start somewhere. This one girl my mom taught graduated with valedictorian and came up to my mom and thanked her for taking her time in help her with learning because she came from a broken home. Teachers does makes a difference I know I loved everyone of my teachers I study hard and worked hard, but they had some students that didn't care it's not the teacher fault it's the kids if you want to study and learn you can. You can't be there when they go home and make sure they do their homework or study. You are doing your job in the classroom and for the short while you have your going to try to make them listen and get them encouraged to learn.
Thank you for this small picture into the mind of all public school teachers that actually care!! I especially love the part about the dirty, empty bellied kiddos. I teach those babies and the struggling ones too. I am a literacy specialist that seeks to help these sweet souls 'catch up' , but my only true goals are to help them be confident readers that LOVE to read. This profession IS a calling and nothing more. I love that my 'job' each day is help young people be more confident and I am so very hard on myself when they continue to struggle because I haven't found the right piece of the puzzle to help them be successful....much harder than all these bashers could ever be!! So, yes, please stop killing us softly with your hurtful and hateful words...we love and devote our lives to children that need us to be there for them! Thank you for sharing these words with the world!!
ALl of the above is why Ill never return to teaching.........worst job on the planet!
This is just as true and important today as it was when you wrote it, over a year ago.
Post a Comment